Friday 16 December 2011

Foody thoughts

It seemed eerily quiet this morning. It's strange not seeing the trees doing their whirling-dervish dance. As the morning has gone on, the cause of the uneasiness is apparent. It's snowing. So far it's not sticking. It seems to be turning more watery as the shower, more rainlike, continues so I can't see it staying despite some of the large flakes that have come down.

We were talking in our local village pub yesterday about the "Masterchef: the Professionals" to come latter last night. One person who followed the programme admitted she had looked up the price of a meal at the Gleneagles restaurant that had featured earlier in the series.

"£125 per person for the set menu!" she gasped. "Lucky for some."

This is a price out of the range of the pockets of most of our friends, neighbours & acquaintances except on a very special occasion, a once-in-a-lifetime event, certainly not as a regular thing.

I couldn't help thinking, though, would I really like fine food dining on a daily basis. I think not. We have had the experience sometimes on holiday. I will not deny the pleasure & the treasured memories. But on the other hand I have some great memories of more normal fare, of a fabulous black peppery steak & kidney pie, at one time available in a particular Lakeland pub, for example.

I suppose ultimately I want food without towers to demolish. I'm happy to have food that is not so pretty on the plate but tastes good & satisfies my appetite.

I suppose I also have to admit I think fine dining also means missing out on some great classics. Today, for example, we're having a homemade chicken & vegetable pie - it's all ready for the oven this evening - a good homely favourite that I just can't imagine the likes of Michel Roux serving in his restaurant. I can't even begin to imagine how he could present it fancily & yet retain its integrity as a traditional British pie, with pastry top & bottom & oozing creamy chicken & vegetables. No, give me more homely food. Good & simple, comforting & warming, full of associations with family & friends. That suits me just fine.

2 comments:

Malcolm said...

that "black peppery steak & kidney pie" is a particularly favourite memory of mine too. There are not many other pies that one would be prepared to make that kind of round trip for!

The Oxcliffe Fox said...

Thought it might strike a chord! The Vixen