Thursday 7 January 2010

Thawing after freezing

My hands are tingling with warmth. I'm not long in from the cold. I ventured across to the garage for some wine for today's dinner. We want some red so it needs to come in early if it's ever to reach a nice room temperature in time to drink with this evening's dinner.

I then popped to the laundry room & the freezer. The room itself isn't unduly cold as the central heating boiler is in there &, needless to say, we've got the heating on all day at the moment. However, the purpose of the trip is a rummage in the freezer for some minced beef. I'm looking for a very small packet, just 3oz. It has disappeared beneath everything else. I end up taking just about everything out, checking the vintages of any minced beef as I go as I want to use the oldest first. Eventually I find it. By this time my fingers are frozen. Everything else is thrown back into the the chest freezer as rapidly as I can. I hastily get back inside. First job in is to put the kettle on, so I'm now sat with a hot mug of tea at hand, thawing once more.

PS If you're curious what I'm doing with 3oz minced beef, I'm making beef popovers, a sort of minced beef in Yorkshire pudding batter. A treat that even impressed a French friend & chef who stayed with us once.

No comments: