Tuesday 12 January 2010

Fishy

We did some food shopping yesterday. After all his recent reading of Elizabeth David, mixed with the oh so cold weather & some friends' enthusing, the Fox has developed an urge to make some soup. So we bought a few ingredients & today he's having a go at making a watercress & salmon soup.

I've never been a great soup-maker. My mother never made any of her own. Throughout my childhood, the only soup I was prepared to eat was Heinz tomato soup. Anything else I turned my nose up. I might try a mouthful but that was it.

I have grown out of that attitude these days & am prepared to be more adventurous. I've even made some soup I've enjoyed.

The Fox, on the other hand, has fond memories of his mother's pea & ham soup. And it was good. I had some too. I gather she made other soups but that is the only home-made one of hers I remember tasting.

It will certainly be a fishy meal as I'm intending to grill some trout for the main course. In our opinion, you can never have too much fish, especially if it's oily fish.

No comments: