Thursday 14 January 2010

Filo

The thaw didn't last long. We are once more in a world covered with a thin dusting of white. As the morning goes on, it seems to be rapidly disappearing, thank goodness.

Meanwhile I'm continuing emptying the freezer. Today I'm tackling one of my pet hate ingredients - filo pastry. I find it just so difficult to manipulate. The only good thing is that you usually end up layering it up when you use it so hopefully the cracks will get covered up. My usual solution is scrunching.

I'm not sure quite why I keep buying it. I'm not even quite sure how much I enjoy eating it. I tend to find it rather cardboardy, dry & flavourless. I can well believe it is healthier than other forms of pastry, being as low fat as it. But it does look pretty. And what else can you use for spring rolls, for example? Or shape into crackers, batons, flowers etc?

I'm just relieved the packet is just about over. For that matter, I'm relieved filo pastry seems to be going out of fashion once more. No longer do magazines seem stuffed with recipes demanding it.

No comments: