Tuesday 5 January 2010

Scuppered

My plans have been scuppered. The Fox was doing a lot better yesterday. He sank a bit as the evening arrived, but, on the whole, he's been much more like himself. So I settled in my mind today was the day to get down to the fish shop for a nice bit of sea bass or trout for dinner.

Then, last night, for the first time in days, I watched the weather forecast - snow. Sure enough, as I went to bed, I looked out of the window. Something was coming down. I got up for a loo visit in the middle of the night. The car was turning white. By this morning a curious muffled silence greeted me. I was not surprised therefore to see the world was indeed white with snow &, what is more, the snow is still falling. For all the falling the depth of lying snow doesn't seem deep but I am anxious about what may lie beneath. After a few days of ice rink conditions, I fear that beneath this fluffy white layer is going to be a very dangerous layer of black ice. Not a day for going out, not even as far as the garden.

I'm now having a rethink about dinner. It's obviously got to be something we've got in already. The oldest thing in the freezer is some smoked haddock. I suspect it will end up as that in a creamy mustard sauce with some pasta & garlic bread. Unless that is some miracle occurs & the snow turns into rain so the roads quickly become safe. I won't need to get the smoked haddock out until lunch time so I've got a little decision time.

Meanwhile I notice a few avian footprints coming up to the back door. I look over to the feeders. I can see some fat balls there & seeds in the feeders. Reassuring. I don't feel I instantly ought to do something to help the birds. If it finally stops snowing I will maybe throw a bit of something for them but, at the moment, anything I throw out will be buried as quickly as it lands, certainly before the birds can find it.

No comments: