Sunday 26 July 2009

Sonic attack

I supposed I should have guessed it might happen when I heard the excited voices of children in the afternoon. I looked in the direction of the sound, through the hedge & over the fences - a huge bouncy castle a few gardens away. Nonetheless, when we sat eating our meal outside the noise level wasn't too bad.

After dinner we had some wine & music, then watched some TV. Just before midnight I decided I just had to go to bed. It was late for me to be up these days - someone would say it ever was! The beat of music was still coming through the windows from outside as the party went on. I had noticed it in the quiet spells while in our lounge, but it was worse in our bedroom. The Fox looked out & reckoned things were quieting down. Most of the people were dispersing, so we assumed all would be quiet by the midnight witching hour.

How wrong can you be. By 2.30am, I concluded that I wasn't sure whether Frank Sinatra had me under his skin but I'd had more than enough of him under my skin. Eventually I got off to sleep.

I have to confess I've always thought there is a certain wisdom in letting neighbours know if you're having a party. Maybe even invite them. At least that way they can prepare themselves for the sonic onslaught, avoid it or join in. I don't want to stop people enjoying themselves, but please show a little consideration & turn the volume down. Some of us are trying to sleep. I found myself positively envying the Fox going through one of his deaf spells (build up of ear wax problems) at a time like this. He could barely hear anything.

No comments: