Friday 24 July 2009

On the hunt

As predicted Wednesday saw me spitting dust as I sought travel insurance. I started with the company we went with last time. Bearing in mind the only change in our health is that I'm now being treated for a thyroid problem, they proposed to charge me almost the same amount for a two week one trip in Europe policy as the previous year they'd charged for a worldwide annual policy. They weren't prepared to consider an annual policy at all. I was stunned.

I rang a few more companies. I got asked about the Fox's back because I'd had to say he had osteoarthritis in his toes. What was his weight? What that has to do with anything I don't understand.

As for me, I ended up discussing having pneumonia nearly ten years ago. And no, I don't have breathing problems now. I'd never even thought to mention it until I was specifically asked if I'd ever had pneumonia. My condition is reasonably stable. Over time, as I look back, I am aware I've degenerated a bit but it is only when I think back over time I'm aware of the changes. As for depression, I don't expect any insurance is going to cover me if I deliberately endeavour to kill myself. What's more the chances of that happening are less when I'm enjoying myself on holiday than when I'm at home, feeling frustrated by the things I can no longer do.

Eventually I found one company that will cover us both for annual in Europe but not Spain or Cyprus for less than £100. They will not cover pre-existing conditions without a further premium of £280. But they will accept that if I end up with broken bones after a bus runs into me, it will be the result of the collision & not the osteoporosis. I can't for the life of me see what's so much worse in Spain or Cyprus, but it doesn't matter in that we're not intending to visit Spain or Cyprus in the next 12 months.

By the time I found this company I was feeling so frayed, I had to abandon the hunt. I left it yesterday, partially to give myself chance to calm down, partially because I was distracted by other things such as getting to the Farmers' Market. (We bought a fabulous piece of sea trout there. Mmm mmm!) I'm going to have another look today, but I suspect this is the company we'll be going with, without the extra premium for pre-existing conditions.

But why, oh why. do they have to make life so difficult? It's not as though we've ever had to make a claim, or that either of us is more likely to have an accident than anyone else. As far as I can see our only difference from "healthy" people is that we've been diagnosed with problems & are open it, rather than left things undiagnosed & avoided routine scans & health checks.

1 comment:

Malcolm said...

I get totally infuriated just reading about these greedy b.....ds called insurance companies! I'm just grateful that I have no imminent plans for foreign travel.