Thursday 30 April 2009

Getting better

My hand is easing up a bit, though I was shocked when I got changed last night to discover the back of my left shoulder was a glorious mauve. I knew it had been aching but I hadn't expected to be that colour. Still, I usually take the view, when the bruise comes out, the pain reduces. And at least today I have nervously managed to peel the spuds for dinner.

Yesterday turned into a more festive day than Tuesday, the Fox's birthday. The carpet measurer arrived not long after 1pm, rather than the 4pm or later time we had been advised. This liberated the afternoon to do something more exciting. So after a few chores, including collecting the paper & paint needed for the decorator - she comes on Monday - we adjourned to the Pub. We had a pleasant time doing the crossword & polygon with Little B, with interruptions in our thoughts by Gaz & Al, our gardener. Admittedly the Fox suddenly felt ancient as Gaz was talking about his mother's birthday next month. She'll be 60. The Fox was 59 this week. The age gap between Gaz & the Fox loomed a bit, though why people can't have friends of all ages, old & young I've never understood.

Then Mr P, the music teacher arrived. He's already getting organised for his next charity cycle next year. This time he's proposing to go from Ravenglass to South Shields. He'd been into the hospital to see MK. It sounds as though the latter is doing a lot better. He's managing without his oxygen mask for periods. He's also very eager to get home! I don't blame him. We're hoping to pop in for a while this afternoon.

Then Linda, Dave's widow, popped in to pay the bill for the wake last week. She's such a brave lady, very positive. I suspect the full reality of Dave's death hasn't struck her yet. She went to a family wedding in Dundee over the weekend & is now getting ready for a holiday in Tenerife next week. She & Dave had a time share there so it's partially necessity. She needs it transferred solely into her name so she'll have to take the death certificate. Luckily her brother-in-law has agreed to go with her, so she won't have to face it alone. I suspect it will only be when life returns to the more normal routine, that the real loneliness & sense of loss will hit. Meanwhile she's joking about the difficulties she's having around the house. Dave was 6ft 2ins, Linda a mere 5ft. He put the suitcases high up away, so now, even on a chair, Linda is having difficulty reaching the bags she needs for her holiday. She's cursing him like a trooper for lack of forethought.

We came on home to an excellent bacon omelette, made by the Fox. I suspect he will have to cook again tonight, but at least today I feel I should be able to help a bit, even if I'm moving rather carefully & slowly.

No comments: