Monday 20 April 2009

Microwave experiments

I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to cooking this evening.

Of late I've been trying to get to grips with the microwave, cooking whole meals in it. So last week we had noodles primavera, chicken & asparagus risotto, marinated chicken thighs, glazed gammon with jacket potatoes & steamed broccoli. I've tried using the various combinations. So I tried the microwave & fan oven on the jacket potatoes to crispen the skin a bit, the fan oven & grill to glaze the gammon joint. All the food has been edible if not always wildly exciting.

However, I come back to the view, that yes, I may save on fuel, but not on overall cooking time. It's amazing how much time is spent taking things out & stirring, & then there's the standing time at the end. The jacket potato is undoubtedly a bonus. That comes out considerably faster than in a conventional oven, & is incredibly moist inside. But the risotto still took 30mins+, & you don't even get the satisfaction & therapeutic effect of watching it gently plop.

Above all my problem is that I find using a microwave more like a scientific experiment than cooking. It has its place but I can't imagine it taking over in my kitchen. I'll persevere with a few more experiments, but that's just what I feel they are, experiments.

So it is today, I'm cooking a simple plain omelette, chips & baked beans. All done on the hob. The eggs are courtesy of the ladies over the fence, so sure to be full of flavour. That being so I thought I'd keep it simple. As Elizabeth David said it takes a lot to beat a good simple omelette & a bottle of wine. That's my idea of fast cooking!

No comments: