Wednesday 29 April 2009

Bruise report

The bruises are doing well. When I get ready for bed, I discover my front is purple. And I'd thought I'd got away with that part of me. After all that was under my usual layers of padding! By the time I got up this morning I almost gave up the idea of putting on a bra or pulling up my knee braces, such was the pain involved. The bruises are coming up well. By now there is a decided red lump on my right knee, a shadow under my chin & on the palm of my right hand.

But it is the left hand that is the worst. The palm is swollen, the fingers painful to move in some directions, the colour is steadily darkening. I can't lift anything with that hand. Even making a cup of tea has become a major operation.

As if the bruises in themselves aren't bad enough, I've been reminded of how much I use my hands just to get up. I always push or pull myself up. My legs alone won't do the job. Inevitably that means putting my weight right on the bruises. Ouch!

It also means I'm going to have to have a few days off cooking. The idea of holding a potato to peel it is a nightmare. I'm aware we're going to need to do some food shopping soon, but I can't see me doing it. Pushing myself around in a wheelchair is going to be impossible for a while.

I'm just hoping things settle down soon & life can get back to normal.

No comments: