Wednesday 16 December 2020

The gift of friends

Yesterday was a strange day.

 

We had two visits from two lots of friends, all bearing gifts & cards. The greatest gift by far was just seeing them again. It seems so long ago since we last met. Admittedly it wasn’t for long. It was too cold, staying outside, socially distanced, to last long.

 

One of the friends came bearing a poinsettia. I’ve never had one before. Now I just hope I can keep it alive at least until Christmas.

 

It’s a plant I’m not entirely sure I like though I can see it has Xmas associations for reasons I don’t understand. Certainly the red bracts are cheery enough, reminiscent of Santa's attire. From the look of some of the leaves, as the plant grows older, the bracts turn increasingly green – some of the leaves are mottled red & green.

 

But above all I can’t tell you how exciting it was to see friends again even if it was only for five minutes at a time. Hopefully we will be able to get together a bit more next year. 2020 has not been a good year for seeing friends & family.

 

No comments: