Tuesday 17 November 2020

Unexpected call

As usual the district nurse turned up to take my pre-chemo bloods. Yesterday she was behind, arriving here about 11.45am. She was going straight to the surgery for the samples to be sent immediately to the lab. Usually that’s the last I hear of the bloods until I ring up oncology first thing on Wednesday morning. Occasionally oncology has rung me up late on Tuesday evening to say the bloods have been too bad for treatment the next day. The bloods are always taken on Monday to ensure they’re analysed before Wednesday morning.

 

You can imagine my surprise when, at around 3pm yesterday, the phone rang. Oncology. My bloods were so bad that the results had been fast forwarded to them. Oncology was ringing up not only to tell me not to come on Wednesday, but also to check how I felt & maybe recommend me rushing into hospital if I felt bad. The nurse, one I knew & who is normally totally unflappable & utterly professional, was really worried. Fortunately I could report I felt better than I have for a while. The week break from treatment had obviously done me good. I can only assume while I’d been feeling so bad after the last treatment, my bloods must have been in an even worse state & I am now on the up, headed to better health. Maybe that’s why I’ve been feeling so grotty of late.

 

Still at least I know it’s a week without a trip to Kendal. That should be nice.

 

No comments: