Monday 9 November 2020

Remembrance

I’ve had a grotty weekend. I’ve just not felt like myself. I’ve been going along grabbing furniture & walls as I’ve gone. My balance is off. I’ve also lost my appetite & taste buds. I know I’ve commented before on how little the Fox has been eating but now I’m almost eating less than him! This morning the Fox put out some chocolate as a surprise for me. I’ve not eaten half of it yet. Normally, as a confirmed chocoholic, I would have wolfed the whole bar down by now.

 

Yesterday was Remembrance Day. One of our neighbours is a great supporter of the British Legion, having visited a war grave & seeing just how many oh so young men were killed in the First World War. He organised the Poppy Scatter a few years ago.

 

                       Necropole natonale des Glieres in the French alps

Anyhow this year, as people were asked not to congregate around the cenotaph due to Covid-19, he organised a little ceremony here in our street. At a place where he could see down both sides of the bend in the road he set up a stand with a poppy wreath leaning against it. He played some appropriate music, followed by the Last Post & a minute’s silence. He completed the service with a war poem. It was done well. Everyone along the street turned out to participate from their doorsteps. So many people said how well it was done. He’s now thinking he’s going to do every year in future. So many of us living here are elderly or with other mobility problems that getting to the cenotaph in town is a big ask.

 

While this service went on, I held some of my mother’s cousin Frank’s books. Frank was killed on the Western Front, saving his officer’s life the day after the First World War ended. He would have been put up for the Victoria Cross otherwise. Unfortunately people on that part of the front had not yet heard peace had been declared. After Frank died a wooden box, containing a dozen or so of his books were sent back to the family. I now have them. Most of them are either by Charles Dickens or Rudyard Kipling. I treasure them for the connection with Frank.

 

I was bemused that after the ceremony so many people came up to me to ask how the Fox was as he was so poorly. I couldn’t help thinking I was the one dying, though I will admit his rash is growing & his appetite is shot. However, I suppose it is a reflection that they are preparing to be there for the Fox when I am no more. For that I am grateful.

 

No comments: