Thursday 16 April 2020

The best birthday present


It was my birthday last week. It passed uneventfully as we are in lock-down & so unable to go out to do anything too special to celebrate. The Fox had got me some chocolates & cooked me one of his excellent Kipper & Egg Kedgerees for dinner. Cards are still trickling in, delayed in the post. However, yesterday the best birthday present of all arrived.

The surgeon who operated on me at Wythenshawe hospital rang with the results of the tests on what he had extracted from me. A 5cm tumour had been removed along with a good safety margin except in one spot. The tumour was so close to the artery going to my arm it would have been too dangerous to go nearer. However, even there healthy tissue had been removed so I should be totally cancer-free. He did warn me Oncology at Lancaster may decide I should have some radiotherapy on the area where the safety margin was a bit thin but to his mind it was not essential. He also thought I may need some extra physiotherapy as the wound is likely to tighten up over the course of the next 3 months. At the moment I can’t see me needing physio as I have been conscientiously doing the physio exercises the hospital had sent me & I now once more have full movement in my arm. I duly thanked him for his efforts & wished him good health in these difficult times. Afterwards I let out a whelp of joy. Finally I seem to have beaten the cancer.

Come the evening, the Fox & I celebrated with a wonderful bottle of Chablis & some Cole Porter. This news was something really worth celebrating.

No comments: