Wednesday 29 April 2020

Bird food


It was the Fox’s birthday yesterday – his 70th. He is the one now regarded as being extremely vulnerable but we are continuing life as normal, or as normal as we can in these abnormal times.

To celebrate I roasted & honey-&-mustard glazed a gammon joint - a bit of a birthday treat for the Fox. The birds enjoyed the cut off rind for their dinner last night. We tried our best to shoo off the gulls to ensure the starlings had a chance to have a feast. This morning the leftover fattiness went out for their breakfast. Again I flapped my arms to scare the gulls & chased the black & white cat up out of our garden. I was pleased that gave the starlings chance to have their breakfast. They obviously realised my scaring efforts were for their benefit & happily ate on even though I passed near the bird feeder.

Elevenses have just gone out. I’ve just been making up a shepherd’s pie for this evening’s dinner. Any fat & skin again went out for the birds but there was very little. I try to take off excess fat & skin before I bag &  freeze leftovers. All I will need to do this evening is warm the pie up in the oven & brown the potato topping a bit. It should be good.

No comments: