Saturday 1 July 2017

Chilly day



I set to to prepare today’s dinner – a chicken casserole. It may be summer by the calendar but of late it’s been cold & wet. The Fox has even had to resort to putting the heat on the evening it’s been so cold.  It’s certainly not salad days now.

I get all the veg prepped – the peppers, onions & courgette. Add the basil, tinned tomatoes & tomato soup. You can tell it’s going to be a tomatoey casserole. Then I tackle the chicken.

The Fox took the chicken out of the freezer last night, when I went off to bed, about 10.30pm. He must have thought the chicken breasts would easily thaw out long before the morning so he put them into the fridge to thaw out. I get them out just now to find they are still so frozen I can’t even separate the two breasts, let alone dice them. I’ve left them out of the fridge in the hope they will have thawed by the time I’m finished here. Fortunately it’s the sort of casserole that just requires putting everything into a dish, mix them all up, cover, then put in the oven. I wasn’t going to do any actual cooking until this evening, just getting the meal assembled ready in the morning.

We’ve decided to have pasta for a change. We seem to have had a lot of potatoes of late. To my mind the casserole is not unlike a chicken cacciatore so should be fine with pasta & garlic bread. I’m already looking forward to something warming & comforting to eat this chilly summer day.

No comments: