Thursday 29 June 2017

A welcome call



On Tuesday I was surprised to get a phone call from the surgery. They’d received a letter from the MacMillan nurse, telling them what had been said at my meeting with her last week. She also recommended some medication to reduce the pain in my breast. This now was a doctor ringing to say she was happy to sign off a prescription for me to collect at the chemist that afternoon.

I hot paced to the chemist & sure enough there were some pills for me. It turns out they are a mild antidepressant that has a side effect of easing the pain of nerve injury. I’m to take them just before I go to bed to maximise their painkilling effect for a good night’s sleep & to enable me to be over the worst of the drowsiness they cause by daytime. As with so many antidepressants they have left a horrible taste in the mouth, as though the saliva in my mouth has had the liquid reduced, but at least the breast pain has virtually disappeared. Certainly it is within tolerable levels. Three cheers. The other side effects should ease after a few days. I hope so.

I’m still to see my GP in a week’s time to discuss any side effects & the effectiveness of the medication. I thought I would have to stick it out till then before I even had some pain relief so I’m not complaining.

No comments: