Monday 12 June 2017

Fishy



The wind is back. Not as strong as last week yet, but still definitely back. I venture in the garden to check how the delphiniums are managing to survive & notice the clematis needs dead-heading. While I’m doing this, my attention is drawn by a honking overhead. A V of geese, long black necks outstretched, are heading south. It’s not often this happens during the morning, or, at this time of year.

As I do my morning chores I’m trying to get fixed in mind all the things I need to get out of the freezer for dinner today – pollack (checking how much is left in the pack while I’m at it), sweetcorn, green beans, cheese, toaster bread, half a tin of condensed mushroom soup.

What does all this add up to? We’re having a two course meal for once today, starting with potted shrimps on toast, hence the bread. Potted shrimps is a local delicacy which we love. The shrimps are caught in the Bay by a local fisherman, cooked, put in pots & covered in a spiced butter. Mmmm mmm.

After that we’re going to have a fish casserole featuring the pollack in a sauce made up of the soup & sweetcorn. Towards the end I will add a topping of cheesy breadcrumb mixture to give a bit of added textural interest. The green beans will be the accompaniment along with some creamy mashed potatoes. Should be good. We’re looking forward to it.

No comments: