Thursday 22 June 2017

Good news



Good news at last! I went to the hospital for the results of the breast biopsy yesterday. The black shadow turned out to be a benign cyst – no treatment needed.

The pain I’ve been feeling is the after effect of the radiotherapy. All the nerve endings in the breast have been attacked with the result they need time to settle down again, possibly taking two years. I’m to keep an eye open for any change in size or shape of the breast, as that might be a sign of a lymphedema but that is rare. That usually occurs in the arm rather than the breast. Meanwhile I am to see my GP. The MacMillan nurse will be writing to him, suggesting appropriate painkillers to help ease the pain for me.

I have to admit it is a relief. This week has been particularly painful. But that’s not so surprising when you consider three needles went into the breast for the biopsy - two with anaesthetic, one to actually cut out the sample - once more upsetting those nerve endings. However, I have to admit just knowing the cause has eased things, which just goes to show how stress makes things feel so much worse.

The nurse did say she will arrange an appointment at the Breast Clinic in about three months’ time just to check how the pain levels are doing & whether the suggested medication is helping.

With this in mind we are trying to let go & relax a bit. We’re even beginning to think we can maybe look for a holiday, maybe somewhere local in Britain immediately & a bit further afield later in the year. We know when I’m due my next bisphosphonate appointment & it sounds as though this one at the Breast Clinic could be rearranged if necessary to fit in with other plans. Maybe the end of all this stress & disruption is within sight, even if the pain relief isn’t immediate.

No comments: