Thursday 25 February 2016

Tomato mad



I’ve just been preparing dinner. We’re having pancakes stuffed with a homemade minced beef ragu, topped with a crème fraiche & cheese sauce. Anyhow I was filling the pancakes with this very tomatoey ragu mix, when it struck me just how many tomato based meals I’ve had of late.

Yesterday we had lemon sole braised in a tomato, garlic & lemon sauce.  Tuesday’s dinner was a very Italian basic bacon & tomato sauce with macaroni, using passata. Monday we had bacon flans, served with baked beans (in tomato sauce). Sunday was a day off, but Saturday I had spicy prawn pappardelle as my main course. Friday I’d had a spiced prawn starter. Both were in a spicy tomato sauce. Thursday I’d had a tomato sandwich for breakfast. Wednesday the Fox made us a delicious Cheese Pasta Medley, served with tomatoes for veg. Tuesday had been another day of bacon flans with baked beans.

Even looking forward I’m aware I’m putting some cherry tomatoes into Saturday’s dinner & the Fox is intending to serve tomatoes with the Kipper & Egg Kedgeree he’s making for Sunday. I’ve still got a few tomatoes left to put into sandwiches for breakfast.

I’m beginning to think I’m going to turn bright red - the first stage to turning into a tomato?? But I still enjoy eating tomatoes for all this glut of tomatoey food.



No comments: