Saturday 6 February 2016

A trip to Lancaster



First I will tell you about the hospital trip. My appointment was for 3.45pm. I set off for the 4 miles or so to the hospital at around 2.30pm. It seems early for such a short distance yet experience has told us to always allow a minimum of an hour for the trip in daylight, a bit extra on a Friday. 

It was just as well. The Satnav said we would be there before 4pm when we set off. We were soon in the queue, at a standstill. Since the M6 extension to Heysham began to be built a couple of years ago, closing the Heysham bypass, traffic has been chaotic. Soon the Satnav was suggesting 4.15pm was nearer the time. It was not much after that when we arrived. We were lucky with the parking, the other nightmare we’d allowed time for. We stopped at the WRVS cafĂ© for a quick drink before going to the nearby Maxillofacial Unit.

We then waited for nearly an hour before finally getting in. After 5 minutes I was told I had a perfectly healthy tongue.  As I am already having regular check-ups at Gastroenterology for pancreatic cancer they didn’t see any point in doing a biopsy. If there was cancer that department was more likely to pick up on it. We left relieved. Really it was no more than I expected. It all seemed a waste of time & a stress we hadn’t needed. Still at least we now know. At this point in time, all is well. Tomorrow who knows.

We then set off for the leg of pork. It seems impossible in this area to buy a leg joint. The butchers all reckon it’s too big a joint for people to buy. The pigs are so much bigger these days.  I can’t help wondering what happens to the legs when the animals get slaughtered. Presumably the pigs do still have legs. Are they all turned into gammon? I always think the leg is the best joint for roasting. The shoulder & belly, I find a bit fatty – excellent for slow roasting or casseroling. The loin is rather pricy though very nice & sweet.  Is it that these days people don’t know what to do with leftover meat so don’t want a larger joint? We always regard the leftovers as the best bit of a joint. I prefer a bigger joint. In my opinion the effects of shrinkage from the cooking is less & there’s all those meals from leftovers that make the original big joint good value. I thought that even in days when money was very short. The number of meals from one joint justified the initial financial layout. And these days most people have freezers so they don’t even have to have the same meat every day for a week or so.

I was bemused to see, on the shelf in a plastic carton, two legs, each boned & rolled weighing about 500g, much smaller than I had wanted. In the end I had a choice. I could order a 1.5kg boned & rolled leg specially, but then I would have to cross Lancaster again to collect it, or opt for a different joint. In the end I opted for a shoulder joint of an appropriate size. Last night it went into a marinade, ready to cook this afternoon for this evening.

We did go on to have a meal out. It made a very pleasant change. I was rather distracted by the two people at the next table. They were clearly student & lecturer from the university. At first I thought they were father & daughter then I noticed the coy way the man kept letting his fingers caress her hand. She was glowing with intellectual excitement, flattered to be asked out for a meal by him, but his mind was clearly more impressed by her youthful glow & lust than anything she had to say. Even she was beginning to notice she was being plied with rather more red wine than he was drinking. I felt like screaming that this was a fine example of a predatory male, interested only in your body, to be avoided as much as possible. I told myself it was not my part to intervene. After all, she was an adult & I may have misinterpreted the situation. But it left a bad taste in my mouth. 

---------------------------------------------------------

PS. I've just noticed a note from Google saying that from Feb 11th, people without a Google account will not be able to access this blog. If you want to continue to read this blog you will need to open such an account. I personally think this is ridiculous but I thought I'd best pass this news on to you. It may just be necessary if you want to comment on the blog. The notice isn't clear on that. Personally I think you should be able to use whatever method you want rather than be railroaded into opening a Google account.

No comments: