Monday 16 May 2011

Winter returns

One thing's for certain. The washing is not going out on the line this morning. Rain slashes on the window, driven on by the wind. The temperature here has dropped so much we've been tempted to put the heating back on, indeed have succombed to the temptation for a couple of hours just to get some of the chill out of the house & out of our bones.

I'm once more waiting for Angie, the cleaner, to come. It's not that I'm required to do anything while she is here, but it is very difficult to settle down to anything else, to reading, sewing (I'm in the midst of embroidering a tablecloth at the moment), even jigging. I suspect though, today I will getting the pastry rolling done. I've taken some puff pastry out of the freezer this morning. At the moment it's still far too hard roll. We're having chicken vol-au-vents for dinner tonight, so the cases need to be cut out, so they will be ready to pop in the oven this evening.

We've had a very quiet weekend, not even venturing out of the house, except to the laundry room for the freezer, the front garden for some herbs & the waste bins. I think it's done us good. I think we're both appreciating the oasis of peace to re-gather our strength for the week ahead. And as I said last time I wrote, this week's going to be a busy one. PD has already phoned to see if we can pick him up & take him to the Pub this afternoon. I've agreed. It's time we had a change of scene & faces around us.

No comments: