Tuesday 10 May 2011

Growing old

Tomorrow we're off to the hospital - 6 week review since the stroke. My, it seems a long 6 weeks! Hopefully we'll come back with some answers, though we both suspect we'll be told they can't say anything for definite as each person acts & reacts differently. We're just hoping for some light to be shed, to have an idea, for example, whether the Fox should try to build up his exercise or not. He still finds the walk to the Post Office around the corner & back, very tiring. So should he try walking a shorter distance at first & try each day to extend the distance? It would be helpful to know.

I have to say I'm beginning to agree with the Fox's mother, this getting old business is not much fun. I try to remind myself of the Fox's reply, "I  don't like the alternative". 

Increasingly I find friends & family are getting more creaky, if not dying. I can certainly see why most people didn't survive to collect their old age pension when the retirement age was first set. I, for one, wouldn't have been here. I'm sure my bout of cancer would have killed me. I wonder how the Fox would be now without his pile of modern medicines. Life certainly seems more precarious once you near 50. The NHS & all its services become more prominent features of life. The need to rely on other people grows.

All this sounds downbeat. Maybe it's just that yesterday I read of one dear friend's colonoscopy ordeal. I was also told our temporary home help has just got her appointment for an angiogram. She's about 51, not old.

No, I hold onto the fact some things can still be enjoyed. I still love to watch the birds, & other wildlife, in the garden. Love to see the flowers open, even if they are daisies & dandelions in the lawn. Can still enjoy a good meal. Indulge in a bottle of wine, with some good music & the Fox's company. Pleasure in small things seems to increase, as big things become too taxing. Life can still be good.

No comments: