Tuesday 3 May 2011

Nest builders

I'm in the midst of preparing today's dinner - mince & potato patties. For the uninitiated, this involves making some mashed potato nests, filling them with some minced beef cooked in a very thick gravy, shaping the mash over the beef making a patty shape which is then breadcrumbed - a bit of a faff but worth it when you bite into the innocuous-looking golden breadcrumb shape to discover the minced beef oozing out of the middle.

Anyhow, I'd just made the nests, ready to fill, when I turn to wash my hands & my eyes stray through the window above the sink. Clearly I'm not the only nest builder today. Into the hedge opposite dives a wood-pigeon, twig in beak. It looks as though the wood-pigeons have decided this is such a wonderful location they've decided to build their new home here & try to raise a family.

Last night, while we were eating the Fox had noted a large bird entering the hedge. My back was to that window so I didn't see. He'd recognised it as a pigeon. I was surprised that one of the feral pigeons should have gone into the hedge. They don't normally. But now I suspect it was the wood-pigeon reconnoitering the territory for building. I wish them well & look forward to seeing some young before so very long.

No comments: