Monday 12 July 2010

The weed

Looking out of the window yesterday, I noticed a tall shoot standing in the herb garden. All the rain we've had over the last few days has certainly encouraged everything to grow by the inch. Needless to say, as there was a lull between the showers, I had to go out to investigate. It turned out to be the bergamot. It looks as though it's getting ready to flower. That should be exciting - the first time we will have seen it. I only planted it this year.

What surprised me even more was the plant next to the bergamot. For some time there have been some rather large leaves that I didn't recognise. I'd asked Al, our gardener, if he knew what it was. He didn't but took the attitude that if you didn't know a thing with leaves that size, it must be a weed to be hoicked out. I'd left it in. I'm always curious to discover what has self-seeded itself & it may just have interesting flowers even if it is a weed. So you can imagine my amazement when I noticed some buds on it which showed that it was the echinacea I'd planted last year & which I'd thought had died off in the snow & ice of last winter. Soon the pink flowers will be opening up. I'm glad I'd didn't pull out that "weed".

No comments: