Wednesday 28 July 2010

A patch of orange

I nudged the washing machine on to the spin programme. While it did what it had to do, I looked down the garden. My eyes were caught by a patch of orange, high up, that I hadn't noticed before. I had to go & investigate.

It turned out to be the berries on our rowan tree. The colour seems particularly vibrant at the moment. The bright orange echoed the darker, browner orange of the day lilies below.

This tree has never looked very well. And yet each year it produces a froth of white flowers in the spring, then orange berries later in the year. I've tried feeding it a bit. I've tried clearing away some of the yellow loosestrife & the day lilies that surround it.
No improvement. But it does just keeps persevering regardless.

In the front garden the flowers on the oregano are now fading. The bumble bees are still scrambling around them, but the honey bees have turned their attention to the newly opened yellow flowers of the fennel. I know numbers of honey bees are supposed to be on the decline. I'm coming to the conclusion they've just moved home - into our herb garden!

1 comment:

Malcolm said...

I always get a buzz observing the bees though I must admit that we seem to have more bumble bees (of sundry varieties) than honey bees We do all we can to encourage them!