Monday 19 July 2010

Fascination with detail

I've just been listening to this morning's "Today" programme on BBC Radio 4. Towards the end of it, there was an audio diary by the writer, Diana Athill, on life in a retirement home. She commented that when so many everyday worries were taken away from you, it is easy to become bored, then obsessed by small things. It is those things that gain great importance. Her present obsession concerns some wasps (or are they?).

I can't help thinking that it isn't just when you become older, as in her case, this happens. It happens when you become disabled too. I've been writing this blog for a couple of years now. Most of it is about small things because they are what fill my life. I don't have the whirl of business or social life to write about because that is non-existent or very limited. Instead I obsess about the plant & animal life in our garden, my trips in the Mean Machine, my electric scooter, that take on the proportions of an expedition in my eyes, and my food, the one thing I still try to prepare most days though often I act in a more supervisory position as the Fox does the actual cooking.

I suppose I've always tended to be a person who zooms in on the small details of life. That was part of the enjoyment of studying law, where my pedantic streak could come to the fore in arguing my cases. In my dressmaking days, it was my attention to detail that brought me custom & earned me a living. When our enthusiasm turned to photography, it was noticeable that most of the telephoto shots were taken by me, while the Fox favoured the wide-angle lens. So now my focus zooms on to my home, my friends & on the Fox.

No comments: