Friday 23 July 2010

Unexpected visitors

As we are about to go off to the Farmers' Market the Fox calls out, "Look see. We've got a visitor". I hasten into the study. Sure enough, there, in the corner of the window, is small tortoisehell butterfly. We hastily open a window. We've no idea how our visitor got in, but the least we can do is give him a way out to the big outside world.

When we get back, the first thing we do is check on our visitor. No sign of him. He's either found a dark corner to hide in or else he's flown off.

Come dinnertime, while the Fox was busy cooking our excellent Chicken & Chorizo Paella, I thought I might as well take the vegetable peelings out to the compost heap while our temporary lake has receded. The Fox was alarmed to hear my voice through the open window. He feared I'd been having another fall.

"No," I assure him. "But you see that red leaf on the wet soil where the lake had been?" He looked out. "It's a frog. I was just saying hello & welcoming him to the garden." (I sometimes think we're a pair of nutters, between talking to our frogs, birds and bees, not to mention the potatoes & tomatoes.)

Mentioning my fall, I'm pleased to say I'm healing up well. Scabs still catch a bit, but the worst of the aches have just about disappeared now. I am, though still being surprised to discover other damages caused.

When I got changed out of my wet clothes on Monday, I'd noticed the glass but not the amount of wine I had down me. Under the wet blouse I'd been wearing, I'd been wearing a wine red coloured jumper. It felt a bit damp but I thought nothing more of it. It wasn't until I got changed for bed in the evening, that I discovered that the thin jumper I wore under the red jumper had a lovely red stain on it. Obviously some wine had seeped through. (I'm thanking all the layers I usually wear for cushioning my fall so protecting me from the worst consequences of the fall.)

By Tuesday, my attention turned to the effect the fall on the loose leaf file I'd had in my hand at the time. I'd realised the cover was scuffed. I'd managed to move it quick enough out of the stream of wine & glass so the paper inside avoided becoming wine stained. I'd thought that was it. On Tuesday I opened the file to discover the ring mechanism was damaged so one ring no longer closes properly.

Wednesday brought the damage to my sandals to the fore. These sandals were new this spring. But now the raised decorative leather stitching has changed colour. It is no longer black, but scuffed back to the natural leather colour.

So it was yesterday, I went to get another bottle of wine from the garage. This time I realised the key ring with the garage keys has been distorted. I wonder what I'll find today.

All these damages. I must have fallen with quite a wham. I'm just relieved I didn't do more damage to myself!

No comments: