Saturday 23 May 2009

In the garden

It actually seems to be staying dry. If it's still dry by the time I've finished this, I'm hoping to venture into the garden, tidy up the herbs & finally get Basil Bush planted. He's looking well, now he's acclimatised to life outside. A bit of good soil will set him up a treat & that will be our basil for the summer months.

I would spend some of the holiday spell in the back garden, but the lawn is just one great bog at the moment. I put one foot on it & the water instantly squelched up around it. Not for walking on just yet. I hate to think how heavy the waterlogged clay soil would be, even if I could reach it.

One of the things I really appreciate about our herb garden at the front of the house is that it is accessible all the time. It's in a raised bed with plenty of good quality topsoil. And what a difference that is after all the heavy clay elsewhere in the garden! All around it is concrete & tarmac which makes an easy surface for me to put a stool to sit on while working in the garden, never squelchy unlike the back garden. It also means I can easily get to the herbs for picking for dinner.

At least this wet weather has pleased some characters. In the midst of cooking dinner yesterday, the Fox looked out of the window & guffawed. The cause? Mr Blackbird was having another bath in the pool blocking the way to the greenhouse. And a right good splash about he was having too!

No comments: