Tuesday 12 May 2009

Happy feeders

Yesterday morning turned into a busy time. At the Farmers' Market last week I'd bought a shoulder of pork. Ideally I would have bought it diced as I wanted it to make a stew. Unfortunately they only had the cut as a bone-in joint. So yesterday I had the job of boning & de-fatting it. Then it was on with the stew. From time to time I had a check of my washing that was hanging on the line to dry. By the time I was done, it was turned midday.

As the sun was shining, I decided to sit out & finish my novel. As I did, my eyes lifted from time to time to see who was coming for the pork fat. The first on the scene was a huge black-backed gull. surprisingly he didn't stay long or take much.

The next was a shyer creature, a blackbird. He tried to look oh so nonchalant, as though he really wasn't interested. He sidled along, grabbed a huge piece of fat & disappeared rapidly into the undergrowth.

Another gull appeared. This one stayed to make the most of his meal, but decided to go after a while.

The next visitor was a magpie, smartly dressed in navy & white.

It was good to see such a range of birds having a look-in for once, so many well fed.

No comments: