Thursday 4 March 2021

Prophet of doom

Occasionally a conversation starts up as we wait, socially distanced & masked, to be called in for treatment.

 

Some people are very nervous about what might happen. I, the old hand, try to reassure them. At first all goes well, then they ask about me. I instantly feel like a prophet of doom as I explain I’m on palliative care now. I’m not expecting this treatment to prevent or cure the cancer, just to make life easier, more comfortable. I see the horror in their eyes as they realise radiotherapy may not mean death to cancer. I always wish them well & reassure them I have had over 20 years of life since my first bout cancer, so in some ways I’m doing well.

 

I sometimes think I should have just have kept my mouth shut. I’m really not sure what is the best thing to do. Any advice? I certainly don’t see any point in lying about my situation.

 

No comments: