Thursday 11 March 2021

New regime

We started the new regime yesterday. My dressings are now being looked after by the district nurses rather than the practice nurses.

 

So now I have a new look. With a 20cm x25cm dressing across the top, with a smaller 10cm x 20cm beneath it. Underneath all is a charcoal dressing which helps it smell better - I was assured nobody else could smell anything but I never got away from this horrible putrid smell. Over all the dressings I now wear a sort of boob tube. It seems to have done the job of keeping everything in place even though some of the tapes & sticky edges of smaller dressings seem to have come unstuck a bit. I didn’t get stuck to the sheets or nightwear last night for what seems like the first time in weeks. It makes me feel vaguely like a lump of meat – the tube is rather like the elasticated netting the butcher puts round a boned joint to keep it in shape. If nothing else the new dressings feel lighter, less like armour plating.

 

My slumbers this morning were rudely disrupted as the Fox fell on his face with a thud. I hastily, for someone who only goes at snail’s pace, got out of bed to try to help him. Luckily he doesn’t seem to have broken anything. Between us we eventually managed to get him up & into bed. After his stroke in 2011, he’s always lost some sensation down the side of the stroke. Most of the time, he’s fine but he’s just so overtired with all the trips down to Preston taking me as well as doing most of the cooking & washing up. For a while, he’s been feeling very insecure with that leg, having no sensation in it. I suspect it just gave way. Hopefully when he gets up he will feel a bit better. Certainly no longer having to travel great distances will help. Our next hospital trip is to Kendal in April, so he has chance to catch up on his exhaustion. Meanwhile now I’m more on top things myself, I can do a bit more to help. Yesterday was my first cooking day for ages – homemade salmon fishcakes, delicious.

 

No comments: