Saturday 8 February 2020

Some light at last


Yesterday turned into a very illuminating day.

We went to meet the radiologist. She explained clearly the problem, showing us the CT scan images. The tumour is an almost perfect circle, hidden under the muscle of my shoulder. It almost immediately sits on the blood vessels & nerves going to my left arm. Now we can understand why the surgeon is so reluctant to operate. We’re beginning to wonder if there is any point in going to Christie’s next week as an op looks very dangerous. Why nobody showed us these images before is beyond us.

She compared the most recent scan to the one just before Christmas. There is a marginal growth. However, it is sufficient to push up the muscle above it which forms the painful lump I’m aware of.

She proposes a 2-3 week course of radiotherapy, specifically aimed at the tumour. I should get the appointment for seeing her down in Preston at the end of the month. I will probably have to have another tattoo. (I wonder what they do when so many people adorn themselves with tattoos all over themselves. It would be difficult to distinguish the radiography tattoos from the decorative ones.)

With this in mind I have had my PICC line removed. It’s still a bit tender & I have to keep the dressing on for a while, but I’m really looking forward to having a shower & thoroughly washing that arm/elbow. I’ve had to keep the area dry, unwashed, for over three months now. If nothing else it’s nice to feel more human once more, with no wires coming out of me.

We meanwhile are trying to adjust to the idea that I will probably have this tumour for the rest of my life. I’m having palliative care to enable me to hopefully keep it under some control &  pain-free. I gather they can usually control cancer like this for years these days so hopefully that will be true in my case.

As for the two week break before our trip to Preston, I can see it being spent going to the hospital. This time on the Fox’s behalf. He was horrified last night to find his foot covered in blood which had leaked from the blisters (due to the discoid eczema) on his leg. I will be tackling Dermatology yet again on Monday. He’s due to go back in a fortnight but we’re beginning to think that that is just too late.

No comments: