Monday 12 August 2019

It's over


The storm has finally passed. The wind has dropped, the rain stopped. It’s been quite a weekend.

Yesterday was Carnival Day in Morecambe. Certainly on Saturday the prospects looked bleak. The rain slashed down almost nonstop. Nonetheless the stalls started to go up. The funfair put up its rides. A stand was erected for live music. The workers all looked like drowned rats.

However, yesterday, was much better, just intermittent light showers. We didn’t go down to the carnival. As a wheelchair user I hate crowds. I was never a great enthusiast before I became a wheelchair user but now, having had numerous people trip over me, back into me, almost sit in my lap, certainly not making way so I can see anything, I abhor the idea of crowds. But I am pleased for the event organisers & those who did go for a day out to watch the procession & shows.

Instead, yesterday, we were visited by the local water authority, checking if we were flooded inside the house by Friday’s thunderstorm. I was surprised at that. They’ve never been before even when we did get flooded in the laundry room several years ago. Apparently some houses down the street, including next door, did get water in this time. They were here to pump it out as well as provide disinfectant for flooded backed up sewage drains. We were clearly lucky. Personally I think it is a reflection of what a good job they did in improving the drainage in the garden.  We certainly would have been at risk of flooding if all that work had not been done.

So today is sunny, still & dry. I was somewhat surprised to discover the central heating had come on. In August! I had switched off the central heating before we went to Norway in May. However, in June, the boiler (also used to provide hot water) played up & the plumber must have switched the central heating back onto auto with the result the heating was on this morning. Although it is undoubtedly cooler today, I don’t feel you need heating on. Once the day is fully arrived it would soon warm up again. I even quite appreciate a bit of chill first thing in the morning. It encourages me to wake up & get a move on.

2 comments:

Malcolm said...

Pleased to note that you've survived the storms without any flooding or damage. We're certainly having plenty of variety weather wise but, Piper still requires his walk regardless of weather (other than thunderstorms during which he attempts to coceal himself in impossibly small places) an I'm still generally managing his evening walks most days.

The Oxcliffe Fox said...

So pleased to hear from you again. We appreciate you are going through tough times at the moment. Love to all. The Vixen