Monday 25 February 2019

Of pies & sunshine


I’ve just prepared a fish pie for this evening. It’s a while since I made a fish pie. As you know I often make pies of other sorts.

 I’m once more using up from the freezer. This time it’s a small bag of Fish Pie Mix (salmon, haddock & smoked haddock) to which I’ve added a small bag of smoked haddock & some prawns. It’s all potato topped so it will be nice & easy come this evening.

The beautiful sunny days we’ve had of late has brought the garden on. Suddenly I’ve got a few pots of daffodils in full flower. Higher up the garden, around the silver birch circle there are gold & purple crocuses, & the blue of grape hyacinths. The evergreen clematis on the fence behind the apple tree is also coming into flower as well as the snowberries on the other side of the garden. Spring definitely seems to have sprung, despite the still freezing nights.

All of this seems far too early for me. It makes me anxious about what will happen when the really cold weather arrives, along with the strong icy March winds.

But as long as the sun continues I can’t complain too much. It’s a pleasure to see & a real morale booster.

No comments: