Friday 8 February 2019

A little excitement


The Fox came in. He’d just been to the bins & boxes with rubbish.

“Have you seen?” he asked excitedly.

“What?” say I.

“The flowers.”

“Yes, I know the hellebores are out. And the snowdrops & cyclamen.”

“No. The crocuses are budding up near the bins.”

I couldn’t help telling him the crocuses have been budding up all over the garden all year (2019). They just don’t seem to do that extra bit, the opening up.

When our gardener cleared the front garden she moved all the bulbs she found & scattered them around the back garden. So now there are clusters of snowdrops, alliums, crocuses & daffodils all over the place. I’ve missed seeing the bulbs appearing in the front garden but it was too late in the year by the time it was cleared to plant any more. Next autumn some will be going in. Seeing the first shoots, then the buds & finally the flowers always gives me hope, makes me feel spring is on its way even if we still have more winter to endure first. I have a particular soft spot for the golden crocuses – such a cheery sight.

No comments: