Saturday 2 February 2019

A freeze & a thaw


The world is white once more. Here it is with thick frost, not snow. The sun is shining brightly but it doesn’t seem to be doing much of a job at thawing it.

Inside a thaw of a different kind is hopefully happening. Some puff pastry is thawing ready to roll out for this evening.

Puff pastry is top of my freezer list at the moment. We had some earlier in the week on a Chicken & Sweetcorn Pie. I’ve dithered about what to do with the rest. Through my mind various recipes have floated – Corned Beef Slice, Fish Pie, Chicken & Pesto Puffs, Easter Fish Pie, to name but a few. Eventually a thought occurred, a recipe I haven’t made in ages, but was, at one time, a favourite, Salmon Vol-au-vent. So that’s what I’m making. The other half of the tin of salmon – the recipe dates from the times before salmon farming when prices for fresh salmon were extortionate – will make go into a creamy sauce to fill an omelette next week. I just hope we still enjoy the vol-au-vent.

No comments: