Wednesday 13 February 2019

Into Lancaster


We’re back from the hospital.

It’s as well we set off early. When we got to Ryelands Park the traffic ground to a halt. It was too early for the carpet of crocuses & snowdrops to have opened out.

Slowly we crossed Skerton Bridge. When the traffic lights showed red we inched forward, green & we stood still.

Eventually we were on the other side of the River Lune. Now you could see the cause of the delay – roadworks due to improvements on the electricity infrastructure.  Great!

On we inched. Now the delay was caused by the number of pelican crossings.  People hurried to school or to work. As one person crossed, the next was pressing the button to cross the moment the lights changed to red.

It was a relief to get to the other side of Lancaster when the traffic thinned out. We finally arrived at 8.55am, having set off on the 5 mile trip at about 8.20.

The clinic was already underway. I settled down to my book while I waited. I managed to read one sentence when I was shown in.

I was thanked again for doing my bit last year to encourage people to turn up for their mammograms. An examination showed all seemed well - no signs of lumps or unusual swellings. After my next lot of chemo next month nothing more will be done beyond a few more annual mammograms. One of those is already being arranged for October. There’s no need to see the surgeon again or for me to have any medication.

All of that is good news. Hopefully this bout of cancer will soon be well & truly behind me. That will be worth celebrating.

No comments: