Friday 22 February 2019

Having a break


You may have noticed my absence. Things were getting us down.

On Saturday I made a rather faffy meal. By the time I’d gutted, boned & stuffed 6 sardines, I was left questioning why I was bothering. I wasn’t any more encouraged when we didn’t particularly appreciate the result.

This isn’t usually me. I love cooking. I’m not put out by complicated procedures. I’m not deterred if the results aren’t always great. But to contemplate abandoning a meal midway through preparing just isn’t me. I mentioned to the Fox how I’d felt. He had to admit he’d been feeling similarly. We decided we needed a break & phoned a hotel we know in the Lakes for a couple of nights. We returned yesterday.

We stayed in Bowness. On Wednesday, our only full day, we went over on the ferry to Hawkshead. We haven’t been there for years. Unfortunately it was a thoroughly wet day. We couldn’t help noticing the lake was almost overflowing its banks. Still it was maybe appropriate we were looking for some waterproof trousers for our Norwegian holiday. I’m glad to say we got the Fox sorted out. As for me, I tried a few on but they weren’t very comfortable. By then I was just aching too much to try any more. We’ll have to look elsewhere some time.

With Wednesday being quite so wet, we did a lot of sleeping/ reading, just taking things easy around the hotel, hoping it might dry up a bit. We didn’t get off to Hawkshead until late afternoon, when it was clear the weather wasn’t going to improve.

We clearly needed the break & came back feeling restored.

It is with a certain enthusiasm that I've just scraped some potatoes for today’s dinner – Chicken in White Sauce. I feel more spring in my heart as I cook. It’s good to be home.

No comments: