Wednesday 22 March 2017

Nervous



I sit here nervously.

Last night we were plunged into darkness as the electricity was cut off. Our neighbour was just in the midst of warning us – some essential repairs up the street.

Once more we had an evening of playing dominoes to candlelight.

It was amazing just how quiet it was. It was only our street cut off as far as I could tell. Certainly the main road behind the houses on the other side of the road still had lights & vehicles passing by.  The conservatory of one of our neighbours abutting our back garden shone out in the gloom.

But we were in the dark. No radio for music or news. No TV. Just the two of us once more in the dark. 

We mused how little there must have been to do at night in times before electricity. If you are getting older, eyes tireder, it is difficult to see to read unless you have a lot of lighting. 2 candlelight is just not enough. Maybe that is the explanation for larger families in the past. There is very little to do in the dark apart from going to bed. We certainly retreated there before 10pm.

Even in bed I was aware of the silence. Then, just before 3am, suddenly noise arrived. First it was the rain on the bedroom window. Then the fridge started its hum, the ventilation fan began to whirl, both noises I’m not usually aware of. Power was back.

Half an hour ago I saw the electricity supplier’s van in the street again. Is this the sign of another blackout? I hastily completed my food preparation for today. And now I sit here nervously. So far all is well.

No comments: