Thursday 18 August 2016

Magic



I’m just back from a trip on the Mean Machine, my mobility scooter. It turned into a fruitless trip. I went to buy some fresh mackerel for dinner tonight. However, there was none at the fish shop. I went on to Morrisons supermarket. There had been plenty there yesterday when we were doing the main food shop, but none today. Oh well, we’ll just have to have some tinned mackerel or tuna instead.

On the way back I met a young lass, aged 7-8 I’d guess. She was going for a walk with her grandad & his dog. She was eager to show me what she’d found on the trip – a lady’s watch & a box containing a small carved elephant. Peter Pan had left it there.

She goes regularly on such walks & always finds such things, hidden in a secret hidey-hole. (I began to suspect grandad went a little earlier & hid them for her to find.)

School holidays are clearly magical times for her. Yesterday she & her granny had been making a magic potion with rose petals in it. It had been left in the sun. If it began to bubble, her wishes would come true.

The days of such innocent pleasures seem long away as I feel my age with every ache I have. But it is good to see the world can still be so full of magic for young people like this lass.

No comments: