Monday 16 March 2015

What a relief!



On Friday I found myself becoming more & more withdrawn. I eventually realised why, as I lay in bed unable to get off to sleep despite feeling shattered. I decided I had to tackle the Fox on the matter the next day.

Our trip to Wakefield had been such a boost we both agreed we ought to have more such short breaks away. We’d decided it would be Chester next. The Fox has never been to a zoo. Chester was a regular visiting place for me, growing up in Cheshire as I did. School & Sunday school trips inevitably ended up there, often at the zoo. It is also a place we often took visitors to see. But I haven’t been for over 40 years. The last time I’d gone with my brother, my soon-to-be stepbrother & his then girlfriend, a friend from my primary school.

We’d been looking through hotels in & around Chester. We’d even chosen one. We’d decided this was a good week to go. I only had to book the room.

However, I now realised I was not ready to go. I felt I hadn’t fully recovered from our last trip. But, on the other hand, I didn’t want to disappoint the Fox.

Nervously I asked the Fox what he really felt about the proposed trip. The sheer relief when I discovered he was feeling rather like me. We were both going to please the other, rather than because either of us wanted to go.

Now we’re not going. We’ve kept details of the hotel we fancied to go later in the year, when we both feel like it, not now. Meanwhile I’ve happily settled down to reading about Burgundy, where we’re going for our next longer holiday. I do so with a lighter heart now.

No comments: