Friday 13 March 2015

Spring is springing



Having moved my snowdrops to the back garden, I’m generally beginning to feel spring is springing.

Yesterday we went over to the butcher’s, passing some fields on the way. It was lovely to see the little lambs with their mums, all wobbly & excitable – a first for this year.

Tuesday was a gloriously sunny day here. I actually put my washing out to dry, another first this year. The crocuses in the front garden opened up their cups to the sun, revealing their golden hearts.

We’ve been along to the golf club a couple of times this week. The daffodils along the road are all opening out - ours are still just budding. The thoughts of the birds are clearly turning to romance. One duck is being hotly pursued by three drakes. A pied wagtail turned out in his pin-striped city suit. I’ve not seen one in these northern regions all winter.

There’s a certain buzz in the air as though things are starting to happen. Any day now, I expect to suddenly see leaves bursting open, blossoms appear.

The weeds are certainly appearing. Having weeded the bed for the snowdrops, I’m struck by how some of the other smaller beds, the ones I told Di, our gardener, I wanted to continue to look after, are now turning green with undesirable grasses, mare’s tail, etc.

I’m also aware it is early. Since that gloriously sunny day on Tuesday, we have returned to rain, wind & cold. I’m sure we’ll have more of that before you can really say spring has arrived.

Still it seems like a time for hope of things to come. Maybe I’m just feeling so upbeat because I’m relieved that the Austrian holiday is sorted out & I can get down to getting excited about our quickly approaching French trip instead.

No comments: