Wednesday 18 March 2015

Just a starting point



I was surprised to discover the world was white once more this morning. A deep frost covers the lawns & plants, roofs & soil. I had begun to think we were past the worst of winter but now I think how deceptive this time of year can be. Eliot was right in suggesting April is the cruellest month. This time of deception can go on till then & so often catch you out.

I ventured down the garden yesterday. I was delighted to discover some hellebores in full flower. I didn’t even realise we had any in the new garden. Broom & mahonia is coming into yellow flower to. The hydrangea is leafing up. I wonder what colour the flowers will be. The daffs & narcissi are budding up in the wild part of the garden. I can see that under the silver birches all will soon be yellow & white.

I really looking forward to seeing exactly what was planted in our new garden. By the time the garden was planted last year most things had already flowered so I really have no idea of what is to come. Even the plans for the plantings we were given early on, were changed so they are no guidance as to what may actually be there. It should be exciting, certainly interesting, to see exactly what we have. Only then will we know what, if anything, we want to modify.

Meanwhile my thoughts are turning to more inanimate items for the garden. Now we have a beautiful garden we would like some nice garden furniture rather than the cheap, sun-bleached, plastic table & chairs we have at the moment. We need some for the back secret garden too. I’m also thinking of some large pots to cheer up that very private area. More bark would be a good idea but, before that, we need a wheelbarrow to cart all that bark through & up to the far end. It’s amazing how heavy a bag of bark can be! And we will be needing lots.

All this goes to show that have the garden re-designed last year, was clearly only the beginning of what needs to be done in the garden, a starting off point rather than a finished production.

No comments: