Monday 29 October 2012

Voyages of Imagination

I'm somewhat surprised to hear the Fox has been writing his blog again. He hasn't been writing much for a while. I tried to guess what he had written about.  I hastily read the blog before writing this - I don't what to bore your too much writing about the same thing.  I was somewhat surprised by the subject matter - one I've often contemplated writing about but somehow not got there - but at least it leaves me to get on with writing about what I intended to write about - books.

Regular readers will know we've recently rediscovered the joys of our local library.  I usually get out a couple of  jigsaws a week to keep me occupied. I also get out some books, as does the Fox.

With these books we have travelled miles, in time as well as geographically. The Fox is just back from a very cold wintry Chicago in the company of Sara Paretsky. I meanwhile am in Spain during the Civil War there just before the Second World War ("The Return" by Victoria Hislop). 

I've only visited Spain on the odd excursion across the border when we've been staying in Basque country. In the absence of much summer in England this year, it's wonderful to feel the warmth of the Spanish sun & the passion of flamenco dancing. It almost helps make up for the lack of prospects of getting away to the real sun at the moment.

When I think back I recall other recent journeys. They include going to Tudor England under Henry XIII, the Deep South of the USA in the 1960s, an English village in the 1950s, into the trenches of the the First World War, contemporary Italy, 17th century New England. Each journey acts as a catalyst for new thoughts, new ideas. The world is once more expanding beyond the horizons of this little corner of England & the limited activities that are my life. 

And I'm loving it, as is the Fox on his voyages of imagination.    

No comments: