Tuesday 2 October 2012

The mutton

We're trying the mutton today. We did manage to buy some last week at the Farmers' Market. Caroline, the stallholder, told us how much she preferred the taste of mutton to lamb. We bought a shoulder. 

I was surprised. I was expecting it to look a lot darker, the fat yellower. I would easily have mistaken it for lamb. When we got home, I cut the meat into portions for various days before putting it into the freezer. Now I started to become aware of the difference. The flesh was much purplier. The consistency seem to cut differently & yet I couldn't say how.

Last night, the Fox got on with the task of cooking one of the portions. He made a Jamaican mutton curry. In Big Ears, the slow cooker, of course.

The curry plopped through the night.

At 2am I was awake once more. The cramps were striking yet again. Almost before I could register the abdominal pains I was attracted/distracted by the smells coming from the kitchen. The aroma of spice, of coconut....mmm, mmm. It was enough to set any stomach rumbling in anticipation of good things to come. Though for me, in my current state of health, it also set off a sense of nausea. For several hours I twisted & turned in bed to this source of tantalisation before the medication I took began to kick in & the cramps ease once more sufficiently for me to go back to sleep.

This morning I get up. I step out of the bedroom & head towards the kitchen. Oh that smell! I've not dared to take the lid off the pot to look at it. It may be just too much to resist.

I'm now hoping it's going to taste as good as it smells. In which case we're in for a treat.

No comments: