Tuesday 23 October 2012

No wine

I'm still at home!

That seems quite an achievement at the moment. Even more surprising I'm feeling more settled, more comfortable than I have for a while. Part of this I suspect is due to the fact I looked up the pancreas & its problems. Whatever the problem, the one common factor is that you are advised to give up alcohol. Not that alcohol necessarily causes the problem. Rather alcohol is likely to aggravate any problem. With this in mind I've abandoned alcohol for the moment to see if it helps.

It's not that I drink a lot of alcohol. Normally when we go out to the pub I indulge in fruit juice, hot chocolate or diet Coke. The only alcohol I do have is wine. We have a bottle most days with our meal & sometimes in the evening (usually accompanied by plenty of good conversation & some cool jazz or French chansons). Now we've introduced a regime of water with the meal, perhaps after an aperitif of squash or fruit juice. In the evening it's now juice or non-alcoholic wine. 

So far I do seem to be doing better. Indeed I'm almost feeling I've been making a fuss about nothing. 

Why couldn't the GP have made this simple suggestion before? Still I'm not feeling so confident that we feel we can think of going away or cancelling any further investigations. Not drinking alcohol doesn't solve the underlying problem, just alleviates it substantially, & possibly temporarily. Untreated, the problem is presumably likely to get worse with the result I will be in agony even though I'm not drinking alcohol. 

We're off to see the GP tomorrow so I will discuss with him my experiment & find out further about pancreatic problems. For that matter see if I can go back onto some anti-inflammatories for my knees! That would help a bit.

But meanwhile, I think today we can go food shopping in anticipation of being here to eat some of that food. I even managed to cook yesterday - deep fried whitebait. The whitebait was coated in spicy flour before frying which gave it an extra element of interest. It's amazing how much flavour these little fish can have. It seems a waste just to have them as an occasional starter. I can see no reason why you can't add some veg & make them as a basis for a really tasty meal.

No comments: