Tuesday 9 October 2012

Tidying up

I can't quite believe it. The sun is shining. It hasn't rained for a couple of days. I'm beginning to hope, if it stays like this, I might collect the apples & pears from the trees. I had a preliminary step on the paving stone at the entrance onto the lawn. For the first time in ages, water didn't ooze all around it when I stepped on the stone. If I do go, I'll still put on my wellies. I suspect it won't take long to sink into the soil.

At the weekend we brought in the last of the tomatoes. They may be green but they're not likely to ripen outside now. The plants were being broken in the strong winds, the early frosts rotting the fruit on the vine. While we were at it, we pulled up the pea & bean plants. They looked pretty dead. We're slowly tidying up the garden for the winter ahead.

If I do get the fruit in, & there is sufficient, I will put some on one side for Angie, our home help. She's back! What a relief! For both of us by the sounds of it. In her two weeks off, she supported her daughter through a traumatic birth. (The baby girl had turned in the womb so she was trying to come out neck first rather than head first. She was nearly born with a fractured skull. As it was she wasn't breathing & had to be rapidly revived.) Then Angie's husband came home with a sore knee. He ended up spending 4 nights in hospital. Although home, he is still on a course of 24 antibiotics per day. As for her own op that went smoothly which is just as well as she had no time to rest & recuperate. She was too busy running around after everyone else! She's hoping life will be more restful now she's back at work.

No comments: