Wednesday 25 July 2012

Can't believe it

The visit to the surgery went as expected. By the time I'd been dinspected examined & my family history of cancer duly noted, the doctor concluded it was the hospital for me, to the Breast Unit. I should hear within a week to ten days. If not, get back & he would chase it up.

We went along to the Pub for a quick drink - it's amazing how drying hospital & surgery waiting rooms can be. We had a pleasant chat with Dick Gobble, still trying to adjust to the problem of catering just for one. He's still finding he ends up throwing out so much food, but on the other hand he wants variety. He's working on the theory he can make a casserole in larger portions & then freeze want he doesn't want immediately in various parcels. Nonetheless he's still sorely missing his wife who died earlier in the year. 

We progressed to Morrisons & the big shop. Life must go on.

I was just out at the freezer putting our purchases away when the phone goes. It's the hospital. They've given me an appointment for next Wednesday. I couldn't believe it. I know I was hoping it wouldn't be too long but to hear the same day, with an appointment within a fortnight takes some beating. They've even managed to organise the appointment on the same morning that we were going into the hospital for an appointment for the Fox regarding his hearing problems. Very convenient.

It will be a case of into the Breast Unit with me. If I'm not clear by the time of the Fox's appointment he just has to cross the road to Audiology. If I'm done quick, we'll pop across the road to the WRVS cafe for a bit of refreshment before Audiology - they're both in the same building.

All this additional stress is having adverse effects on both of us. My stomach & knee pains are growing. The Fox is having greater problems dragging around his dead log of a leg, the remnant of his stroke. The stress is also part of the reason for his silence on his blog, though I see he was inspired to write a little last night. We're just hoping all the anxiety is for nothing and we can relax a bit once more. 

But first the Fox is off to the surgery with his hand tomorrow. And there's still this benefit form to complete. There may only be 20 pages to it but it's taking forever to do, not helped by a changing medical scene at the moment. Whatever else can be said, I think it's safe to conclude my medical condition at the moment is not stable.

No comments: