Wednesday 19 October 2011

A little bit of wind

Yesterday we toodle along to Morecambe town hall. For those of you who don't know Morecambe, the town hall is on a slight rise. From the car park in front of it you have an unobstructed view across a sunken garden  (usually full of colour) & the promenade to the sea. In other words it's fairly open to the elements & the wind which blows along the Bay.

We park at the side of the building, in the disabled parking, get my wheelchair out, get to the side accessible door, press the bell. A dismembered voice, hardly audible over the wind, tells us the lift is out of order. I will have to try the steps at the front., to which I comment that's impossible for me as I'm a wheelchair user.

We decide the best option is for me to wait in the car while the Fox goes round to the front & conducts my business on my behalf. The last few days the winds have been howling. As I sat there, all alone, I could feel the car bouncing up & down in preparation to take off in the air. I couldn't help thinking I wish there was more weight in the car to keep it on the ground. Then the rain & hail arrived, slashing on the windows. I began to feel I, in the car, would be whisked off like Dorothy in "The Wizard of Oz".

When the Fox got back, we contemplated setting off for PD to take him to the Pub as arranged, but PD was at the gym until 3pm so he wouldn't be home yet. We considered staying put until nearer the time. That deliberation didn't last long, as further gusts of wind bounced us around. At least, sat outside PD's house, there was a hill & some houses to break the force of the wind.

As we set off, you could see the sea being whipped up into white horses on top of some very murky cold-looking waters. No day to be out at sea. Gratefully we got to PD's & a lull. Here the buffeting stopped.

After the wildness of yesterday it comes as quite a shock to find blue skies & stillness this morning. A blessed relief!

No comments: